Follow the Leader
Lead a group through an improvised line of movements!
One of the ultimate games for improvision and creative thinking, Follow the Leader is a chance for individual students to challenge the class. While a true childhood classic, this game is great for adults and teens as well. By incorporating movement requirements and rules, Follow the Leader can go from a simple warm up game to a difficult conditioning exercise to a study of technique.
Follow the leader as accurately as possible.
Any space can be used. If you have an open field, you can focus on ground maneuvers.
Choose a ‘leader’
Line everyone else up behind the leader.
How to Play
The leader creates a path of movements and everyone follows that path exactly.
The path should be accessible to everyone.
The leader can change.
The game can end when:
- Time runs out
- A certain number of movements have been made
- The player has returned to the ‘start’ point
- or Any other ‘end’ condition that the instructor specifies
Variation Ideas include:
- Vary levels of strictness (do players need to precisely execute the same movement or can they simply follow their path and figure out their own way through?)
- Include rules – Can players touch the ground? Can they use their right hand? Can they jump?
- Require movements – If running a class where you are going to be exploring a specific technique, require the leader to use that technique at least once!